Paros: Embracing the White Beauty and Island Charm
Step into a world of white and luminosity as you arrive on the island of Paros. This picturesque destination, known for its famous marble that has inspired countless works of art, welcomes you with open arms. The essence of Paros can be felt in its vibrant atmosphere and the warm August winds that transform its coastline into an international windsurfing mecca. As you wander through its marble-paved streets, you’ll encounter a perfect blend of extroverted charm and sophisticated elegance.
Paros offers a diverse range of experiences, from the bustling town of Parikia to the enchanting fishing harbor of Naousa and the serene villages nestled in its verdant, mountainous interior. Whether you seek authentic island life or the glamour of a cosmopolitan retreat, Paros caters to all tastes and ages. Set against a backdrop of dazzling white beauty, the island promises visitors a natural paradise of freedom, unpretentious simplicity, and revitalization—truly embodying the essence of the Greek summer. Allow me to guide you through some of the must-see attractions and experiences on this enchanting island.
Immerse Yourself in History and Culture
- The Church of the Virgin Mary Ekatontapyliani: Begin your journey by visiting the magnificent Church of the Virgin Mary Ekatontapyliani, also known as the “Hagia Sophia of the Aegean.” Legend has it that the original church was founded by Emperor Constantine the Great, whose mother, Saint Helen, made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and stopped here. Explore its historic halls and soak in the spiritual ambiance.
- Archaeological Museum of Paros: Delve into the island’s rich history at the Archaeological Museum of Paros in Parikia. Admire the masterpieces housed within, such as the marble statue of the Winged Victory of Paros from the 5th century BC, the Archaic Gorgon from the 6th century BC, and the Neolithic “Fat Lady of Saliagos,” the oldest surviving Cycladic figurine.
- Lefkes: Take a leisurely stroll through the narrow marble-paved streets of the mountain village of Lefkes. Admire the charm of its whitewashed houses and steps, breathe in the fragrant scents of oregano and thyme, and immerse yourself in the village’s serene ambiance.
- Naousa Harbor: Experience the romantic atmosphere that envelops the picturesque harbor of Naousa, once a notorious pirate hideout now transformed into a vibrant destination for those seeking a good time. Let yourself be captivated by the enchanting nightlife and the lively energy that permeates the air.
Nature’s Wonders and Beaches Await
- Cave of Archilochus: Witness the breathtaking beauty of the sunset from the Cave of Archilochus, a refuge and inspiration for the great lyric poet of the Archaic period. Let the colors of the sky and sea create a mesmerizing backdrop as you connect with the island’s natural splendor.
- Golden Beach and Punda: Embark on an adventure and discover Paros as an international windsurfing destination. Visit Golden Beach and Punda, where the ideal wind conditions and turquoise waters beckon both novice and experienced windsurfers alike.
- Sample Local Delights: Indulge your taste buds with the island’s culinary delights. Try the famous salatouri, a mouthwatering meze made with skate, parsley, onion, dill, peppers, lemon, and olive oil. Let the flavors of Paros tantalize your senses and leave you craving for more.
Captivating Events and Hidden Gems
- Night of the Corsairs: On the 23rd of August, witness the spectacular re-enactment of the “Night of the Corsairs” at the harbor of Naousa. Relive history as the abduction of the village’s women by Barbarossa’s pirates in 1537 is brought to life in a mesmerizing performance.
- Byzantine Trail: Take a step back in time and embark on a journey along the famous “Byzantine Trail.” This thousand-year-old, 3.9 km marble-paved path connects the villages of Lefkes and Prodromos. Traverse through olive groves and vineyards, and allow the serenity of the surroundings to transport you to another era.
- Butterfly Valley: Explore the enchanting Butterfly Valley, a hidden gem adorned with dense vegetation and abundant running water. Witness millions of Jersey Tiger Moths as they settle in this idyllic landscape, creating a vivid natural spectacle during the summer months.
The Top Beaches of Paros
Kolymbithres: Indulge in the beauty of one of the island’s most impressive beaches, offering a stunning view of Naousa Bay. This beach stands out with its unique granite rock formations, sculpted by the salt and wind, creating picturesque sandy coves. Families with young children will appreciate the shallow, deep-blue waters that make it an ideal destination.
Golden Beach: Lose yourself in the beauty of Paros’ largest and most cosmopolitan beach. Surfers flock to this paradise, drawn by the perfect waves and turquoise waters. Along the golden sands, you’ll find a variety of restaurants, bars, and surf clubs to complete your beachside experience.
Punda: Situated near Parikia, Punda is a favorite beach among young people and surfers. Known for its lively beach club and all-day parties, it also hosts the World Kitesurfing Championship. Enjoy the energetic atmosphere and embrace the thrill of the water sports on offer.
Santa Maria: Just 2 km from Naousa, Santa Maria welcomes visitors with its vibrant and fun-filled atmosphere. This beach attracts a large number of young people, offering a vast expanse of white sand for sunbathing and clear waters for diving and windsurfing.
Laggeri: Escape to the tranquility of Laggeri, located on the north side of the island, 1.5 km from Naousa. Its exotic setting, characterized by sand dunes, cedar trees, and turquoise waters, evokes a sense of the Caribbean. If you seek a serene and secluded beach experience, Laggeri is the perfect choice.
Unforgettable Experiences and Culinary Delights
No visit to Paros would be complete without:
- Admiring the stunning architecture of the Venetian Castle of Parikia, a historic marvel constructed in 1260 using materials from the ancient acropolis.
- Exploring the medieval village of Marpissa, where beautiful 16th and 17th-century houses, traditional windmills, and unique churches transport you back in time.
- Venturing to the ancient marble quarries outside the village of Marathi, immersing yourself in the mysterious atmosphere of the deep tunnels and reading inscriptions left by ancient artists.
- Taking a leisurely stroll along Gravari Street, adorned with neoclassical mansions boasting Venetian coats of arms and marble lintels, connecting the Castle of Parikia to the Church of the Virgin Mary Ekatontapyliani.
- Savoring the island’s delicious thyme honey, a culinary delight available at the Agricultural Products Cooperative in Parikia.
- Trying the award-winning “56 isles,” a light pilsner beer produced on the island by the Paros Microbrewery, showcasing the region’s high-quality local barley.
- Embracing the windsurfing culture by taking a lesson at one of the surf clubs in Punda, Santa Maria, or Golden Beach.
- Embarking on a wine tour of the vineyards and historic winery (1910) of the Moraitis Estate in Naousa, unraveling the secrets of local wine production.
- Witnessing the breathtaking sunrise from the top of the volcanic hill of Kefalos, near the remains of the 16th-century monastery of Saint Anthony.
- Booking a mini-cruise to the neighboring island of Antiparos, a paradise renowned for its untouched natural beauty and favored by Hollywood stars as a retreat.
Treat Your Palate to the Flavors of Paros
- Try gouna, sun-dried fish grilled to perfection, paired with souma, the local tsipouro, for a delightful culinary experience.
- Indulge in Paros’ famous version of revithada, slow-baked chickpeas served in a clay pot, offering a taste of traditional Greek cuisine.
- Don’t miss kalfa, a kind of large thick asparagus, accompanied by skordalia, a garlic dip that complements the flavors perfectly.
- Delight in karavoli, large snails served with skordalia, a dish unique to the mountain village of Lefkes. Alternatively, enjoy them braised in a red sauce and served with boiled potatoes, a variation found elsewhere on the island.
- Raise your glass and savor Paros’ fine wines, such as the white Monemvasia and the red Mandilaria. For dessert wine enthusiasts, the excellent Malvazia is a must-try.
- Seek out classic local dishes like patido, a flavorful combination of rooster or rabbit stuffed with rice, chicken offal, cheese, cinnamon, and cloves. Explore other local delicacies such as kolitsani, sea anemones stuffed with cheese, mint, and herbs, fried to perfection, and kolopia, pies filled with seasonal greens.
- Visit a traditional bakery and treat yourself to ladenia, biscuits made with olive oil, cinnamon, and honey, or rafiolia, pies filled with sweet mizithra cheese, sugar, honey, and cinnamon.
- Enjoy samota, dried figs flavored with bay leaves, cinnamon, and sesame seeds, for a delightful snack as you explore the island.
As you plan your visit to Paros, let yourself be captivated by its timeless beauty, immerse yourself in its rich history and culture, bask in the warmth of its hospitality, and indulge in the flavors that will leave a lasting impression. Paros welcomes you with open arms, inviting you to experience a truly unforgettable journey. Paros Embracing White Beauty. More Greece Holiday Location
Εκκλησία της Παναγίας Εκατονταπυλιανής, Ελλάδα, Ελλάδα νησί, Ελληνική, Κολυμπήθρες, Πάρος, Πούντα, Σάντα Μαρία, windsurfing, Γιουνανιστάν, Kirche der Jungfrau Maria Ekatontapyliani, Griechenland, griechische Insel, Griechisch, Kolymbithres, Paros, Punda, Santa Maria, Windsurfen, Yunanistan, Церковь Девы Марии Экатонтапилиани, греция, остров греция, греческий, колимбитрес, парос, пунда, санта-мария, виндсерфинг, юнанистан, Iglesia de la Virgen María Ekatontapyliani, grecia, isla de grecia, griego, Kolymbithres, Paros, Punda, Santa Maria, windsurf, yunanistan, كنيسة العذراء مريم إكاتونتابيلياني ، اليونان ، جزيرة اليونان ، اليونانية ، كوليمبيثريس ، باروس ، بوندا ، سانتا ماريا ، ركوب الأمواج شراعيًا ، يونانستان, Église de la Vierge Marie Ekatontapyliani, Grèce, île de Grèce, Grec, Kolymbithres, Paros, Punda, Santa Maria, planche à voile, Yunanistan, 聖母マリア・エカトンタピリアニ教会、ギリシャ、ギリシャ島、ギリシャ語、コリンビスレス島、パロス島、プンダ、サンタマリア、ウィンドサーフィン、ユナニスタン